It's Not Futile, Is it?

Friday, December 10, 2004

 
My existence isn't an exercise in futility is it? I mean look, here is what's going on right now. I'm at the town police station working as an emergency dispatcher because all but one of the phone lines went out yesterday- including the 911 line. It's after 5:00 am, and I've been here since midnight, there are about three hours left on this shift.

The idea was that in an emergency, folks could still call in on the regular line and then I could radio the officers or the EMTs or the Fire Department in order to send help to the needy. It was a chance to be a hero, it was an opportunity to make a difference, it was a chance to be here to help my fellow man and make my presence on Earth count for something!

Except that I have just discovered that at some point the remaining line has failed. I might as well be here with one of those Fisher-Price toy phones for pre-schoolers with the eyes that goggle up and down when you pull it along on its wheels. I could improve the overall communications profile with a couple of cups and a string.

A moment ago I just radioed the Chief to let him know that I am essentially a window display mannequin. Have you ever had the experience of waking up your boss at 5:20 in the morning to let him know that you are a useless bit of organic effluvia?

Well, if any urgent calls for emergency services come in by carrier pigeon, I'm on the job.

Comments:
Hey Fred, Blog Explosion sent me here. I think it was reminding me to swing on by, since I haven't been here in a few days. If you need some help with the communications, I think I could provide the string. You'll have to find the cups yourself. Sorry.
 
Well, what about me Fred?? What's a receptionist without a telephone connection? I do feel your pain though - I've been sitting here for 6 hours today without one incoming phone call. (It IS nice though - Chris can't call from WalMart!)
 
So let me get this straight. . . you are being paid (presumably) to sit around and do nothing? If I may ask -what exactly is the problem here? :)

slapinions
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?