Special Photo Edition

Thursday, January 20, 2005

 
One of my readers was kind enough to e-mail me and ask me to post some pictures of the Yakutat Area. I happened to have what I hope will be received as an interesting set taken in the summer and fall (Calendar fall, not Alaska fall, which begins around September first, and generally dies of exposure by mid-October.)

So, here's to "JD," a.k.a. "Girlonaglide." I hope y'all enjoy them. Please click on the wee thumbnail pictures to see the full sized versions.

First let's begin with some wildflowers, mostly because it's hard to go wrong with flowers. (And yes, I know that Indian Paintbrush isn't a true flower.)



Red Indian Paintbrush


Orange Indian Paintbrush


Lupine, with strawberry runners in the background. The wild strawberries that grow here are some of the best I've ever had.


A yellow something or other.


I don't have any good pictures of wild animals immediately available, but this can easily be mistaken for a particularly unhealthy Sub-Artic Golden Rock Squirrel sunning itself on a rounded river stone.

Actually it's a hair styling disaster perpetrated on my next door neighbor.

Further down, I have a couple of photos of a quasi-domesticated animal, in the Unexplained Mysteries Section.


I'm fortunate enough to live across the street form the shore of Monti Bay, which is an is an extension of Yakutat Bay, which abuts the Gulf of Alaska.

This is looking out from the front of my house, out towards Ocean Cape and the Gulf.


The Alaska State Ferry System services Yakutat for part of the year.

This is one of the ferries at our main dock.

When I first moved into my house the weather had been cloudy and I wondered why the front windows didn't look to the mouth of the Bay.

The the sky cleared and I understood. This is Mount St. Elias, the third highest peak in North America, and a few other mountains of the St. Elias Range, as seen across Monti Bay.



Most small towns and villages in America have an annual fair of sorts I suppose, and we're no exception. Our celebration is "Fairweather Day", and it's held in August. This year the weather was delightfully warm, in the eighties some days.

Yup, that's a beach in Alaska.



More festive swimmers. We have a surf shop in town, appropriately called "Icy Waves."



I wish you knew how cold these pictures are making me feel right now.


And now our Unexplained Mysteries. The first two shots in this section are of what appears to be a crater that was discovered on Cannon Beach this summer. It was about fifteen feet across and six to eight feet deep when discovered- although since tidewater have entered it, we don't know what its original dimensions might have been.

Speculations about its origin range from meteor strike, to World War Two munition, to kids paying with dynamite, to "I'm gonna fill that cat box just one time this decade."



Eventually the tide erased the evidence.


Now, are there things you are asked to do at your job that make you feel uncomfortable, that make you think that they don't take you seriously? Well at least you have never had to be Sammy Salmon. Sammy is one of the Forest Service mascots. In case you're wondering, no, it's not me in there.

We'll just let the poor guy remain anonymous, OK?


And here is a brief guide to the Sammy Phenomenon.



Anyway, I hope that y'all enjoyed this little Special Edition, Visual Oftencold Presentation.

:-)












Comments:
*applause* I especially liked the Lupine and Mt. Elias photos. VERY lovely.
 
Loved the pictures. You did good. My only negative comment would be: Use your Spellcheck! Wish I could be there to see the wild flowers in bloom. And the photo of Mt. St. Elias was outstanding! U No Hoo
 
Good to know that my official job title for the Sammy incident was "publicist".....what with my fancy outfit and all the kids touching Sammy inappropriately, I was beginning to feel a little more like Sammy's pimp. Nice entry Fred! And now that I know exactly what it is you see out the front of your house, I'm a little jealous!
 
Nice pictures. When most people think of Alaska, I think they picture something like Antarctica, but I had an aunt who lived in Nome, and I visited her there and found it to be a beautiful place.
 
Hey guy, it's been like 20 days and you haven't updated. I'm about to call Social Services and have them take your blog away due to digital neglect.
 
Among these magnificent benefits is the chance to be able to promote your business, any business,
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?